My REAL website is here:

Monday, October 8, 2007

Making stuuuuuuuuff

Most of my time the past couple days )weeks?( has been devoted to Howwa we ana. I am lucky to be working with Dina - I am learning a lot every time we cross paths. Like today I learned that the 22 Bus fucking sucks.

But these past few days I have been actually constructing a physical object as well - it is a TELEPROMPTER (you know, the thing they put in front of a camera so that the news achor can read her lines while looking right into the camera). So, no, it's not really art, just a specific tool - non-homemade teleprompters are a little pricy - I saw one for $4500 bucks. The thing is, it is actually a very simple idea - a piece of glass works like a mirror to reflect the screen of a laptop with a camera hidden in a black box behind it (well, it's moderately simple...), but, the thing is, it requires a bit of precision construction, especially because it needs to be at least partially collapsible. I've been thinking a lot about what absolute marvels tripods are - they are so dependable and precise and perfectly balancy, and they fold up into tiny little bite-sized pockets of love. All the things my teleprompter won't be. But, ah well.

No comments: