My REAL website is here:

Sunday, December 2, 2007

Interacting with my virtual double

I am pretty much a fourscore nerd these days. Last night I was up righting code until 4:30 something like. I didn't figuire out the if... else... statements, but I found a workaround. It's not great code, but it works. But it's a bitch to get the Arduino programme to communicate with Processing.

So what? Am I talking about? It's... the interface by which I get physical things like motors, lights, force sensors, and switches to communicate with my computer. Hello world, it's Arduino..

It's... A project to create these puppets that you squeeze when you are angry and push on the nose when you are sad. Yes, my life has led me here. Or something. Beach balls bouncing. Spinning in cybernetic superposition. Big bang, little clap. That has nothing to do with it.

So, when you squeeze it the Arduino communicates some values to "processing" - a program that uses a code based on c++ to run java thingys. Cause I'm a expert that way. It displays an image of my face. When you squeeze me I get angry. Maybe that's why I'm so unloveable. I mean him. No. That's me squeezing the force sensor. I think it's on 3/4 happiness with no negative feelings at all - seems a perfect match. When you press the nose and squeeze the body at the same time it gets confused...

My left arm is the same length as my right arm in real life.

Farley is drinking green tea and eating organic dried cranberries from the Berkeley bowl.

This is not my room.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Programming! Something that sounds like it would be cool to be able to do...for some reason! I hope you get goodish at it and can talk baffling hacker talk that I don't understand.

Henry said...

i wanted to get this book...it looks good. is this the sort of thing you are doing? maybe you should get the book too! or maybe its too basic for you.

Eff Gwazdor said...

That book looks cool. Are you willing to wait til Xmax? If you look on the right of the cover you can see what looks like an Arduino board. Same one you can see me playing with in the picture.

I am not good at it yet. Just getting started.

Henry said...

i did some stuff like that using STAMP programming...it seems like its kind of similar, but more basic.

Alexis said...

This is one of my favorite posts ever.

Henry said...

maybe alexis should get the book

Alexis said...

ha - Henry thinks I could read the book!!!!!

I would be glad to stay up late with Gwazdas, carrots and ginger ale and try to help with things from the book / distract.

What made me fave the post were "fourscore nerd" and the picture.

:)