My REAL website is here:

Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Meme abuse!

It seems like everyone has heard of "memes" nowadays - the term is a real buzzword because of so-called "viral videos," annoying email pyramid-schemes , and post and re-post blog-blob lists. Now I'm not William Safire (or William Shatner), but I think the term is being widely misused. This is upsetting because it has the potential to be a word that helps us understand how we think. I especially dig not the term "meme engineering" - which is usually used to describe the practice of making videos and advertisements so annoying that people can't help forcing all their friends to watch them. This really appeals to the unseemly shop-til-you-drop popularity-contest side of human nature. This theory has a lot more to offer than just "the person who is most willing to exploit others becomes the silverback..."

I was working with memes when I designed RELAY, the project in which I had people use words to copy a drawing over and over again. This was a flirtation with meme engineering, but what it really revealed to me is that we are still a long way off from understanding memes in the concrete, experimentally verifiable, and effective way we understand genes - nobody can do "meme engineering" because nobody understands the basics of the science. This is verified by the fact that NOBODY can predict what inane video will go global. Well, except for the Britney Spears stoned video. But it doesn't take a fucking meme-engineer to tell you that. The best meme engineering advice is the same a generic advertisement advice -food, sex, money, fame, bright colors, loud noises and repetition seem to engender a response in the monkeybrain.

Before I go any further, I just want to say that I am not a meme fanatic. Well OK, I am, but I have a lot of doubts that the theory is testable. It needs to get a lot more specific. We are still in the blood, black bile, yellow bile, phlegm stage at this point.

When Richard Dawkins coined the term in 1976 he cited as examples of memes, "tunes, catch-phrases, beliefs, clothes fashions, ways of making pots..." These are all very accurate, and are exactly what the general internet public thinks when they say "meme" nowadays - an idea that propagates itself like a virulent strain of flu. The common use of meme actually means "extraordinarily successful meme." But the theory is much more subtle than this: The contents of thoughts can be regarded as a replicator that functions somewhat similarly to DNA. It follows the evolutionary algorithm: replication, mutation, and selection and therefore becomes more adapted to its environment - for the memes this means the human mind and our spheres of communication.

The clearest way to experience memes is to close your eyes and do a simple meditation - try not to think of anything - especially verbalized thoughts (this is how Susan Blackmore seems to have arrived at her ideas - which is her stroke of genius). If you are like me, thoughts will pop into your mind one after the other. Some of them are really halfassed - "When did 'Spawn' come out? I wanna see that." And I can brush them off. But others are really persistent and can sometimes distract me to the point where I actually get up and go do something. These would be the successful memes. So in fact, all of these thoughts are memes. Not ALL thoughts are memes - only ones connected to imitation and therefore language - sensations are not, but muscle-memory is. After all, most of the content of our language can be traced back to simple imitation (not all - the sounds of the words fit into a preinstalled grammar structure in the brain). The more distance you gain from your native culture, the more you see yourself as a product of your cultural environment - the large aspects of culture are collections of memes - a memeplex - so something like "I am lonely" or "I hate when cops tell me what to do" are memes. Artifacts made by imitation can also be seen as a physical expression of the information encoded in a meme - if I show you a hat you can copy it. If you're a hatter.

The memes only "care" about their own self-interest - they are not around to help us. But they exist in the context of the survival of the human brain. The worst ones - i.e. "I can fly off this building if I just BELIEVE hard enough" - get eliminated pretty quickly, and useful ones - i.e. "Cooking potatoes makes them edible" - tend to flourish, but sometimes useless ones survive because they exploit our irrational nature - i.e. "step on a crack, break your mother's back." Memetics has a lot to say about language, about what it means to be conscious, about how free will is largely an illusion, and about how humans evolved. It has problems too - the information in a meme is not encoded in a physical replicator like DNA. This means that it is much harder to analyse. Due to our as yet poor understanding of how the mind works, there are very few satisfactory experiments that can be designed to test the theory in a way that moves it into the realm of "hard science."

Now that I have explaned the idea in more detail, I'd like to talk about another problem I have with the abuse of the term "meme." If used to describe a computer virus that automatically sends itself to your email contacts the term is misapplied because it is outside of the environment of the human mind - there are no factors for evolutionary selection. Things like massively popular video content are also borderline - they certainly copy themselves and are selected for by humans, but they don't change. Without mutation there can be no evolution. Of course, evolution doesn't mean a march towards perfection, but simple success in adaptation to environmental conditions. Evolution is a strange phenomenon - it uses energy to create a local anti-entropic tendancy (although the rest of the universe is still falling apart - boo-hoo!). When I created RELAY the drawings quickly and decisively "devolved" because there was little competition or selection. By recopying the drawings to make them presentable, I introduced an element of selection (chosing round circles rather than potatoes, correcting symmetry by chosing the "better" half) - and this seems to have generated the most interesting elements in the project - the indescribable element in the forms that "said" something about how humans communicate (not to say I was displeased with how it demonstrated entropy). But if it were an attempt to display "memetic engineering" it would be judged a failure. For that, we will have to see 3 things - a decrease in entropy as time passes, increasing efficiency or adaptation to a specific condition, and, of course, it would appeal more to people - it should be "popular."

In the meantime, I don't really care whether memetics is considered hard science or pseudo-science. It has given me a method of understanding my thoughts that I find highly accurate and revealing, and it has been fertile ground for my artistic investigations. I am writing this post because I would like other people to understand that this idea provides a simple alternative to a lot of superstitious ideas. I don't want people to confuse a fascinating theory with spam and fart jokes (though these have their place too...).

Some good starting points for further investigation:
Susan Blackmore's homepage is worth a look if only for the hair...
The Meme Machine on Amazon, where all kinds of wackoes go on for ages about their crackpot ideas - my kind of place.

5 comments:

Eff Gwazdor said...

It seems there are a couple sites that are responsible for generating a lot of the omnipresent and annoying lists of questions and answers posted and reposted on blogs that they call "memes." Actually, these lists meet my definition of meme much better than some of the other phenomena I mentioned earlier because they do change and they do compete for our attention. But they still lead to confusion...

Anonymous said...

It seems that you have missed the very essence of meme propagation, that is, IMITATION. I imitate, therefore I am.

Alexis said...

"Things like massively popular video content are also borderline"

Yeah, they don't mutate. That was your point.

But also how do you use you tube? Here is how I use youtube: I am sitting in the copy room with the unassigned floating administrative assistants, B. and K. B. and I ask K. to find us youtbe content to watch. We tell her she is so good at it after all. K. goes through the "most popular today" youtube vids and we watch ones of those that, I don't know, look annoying or bad or good.

I LOVE the Britney one - right?

I also like the "Noah photographed himself every day" one -- what do you think of that? This was mentioned in the article I'm talking about on my blog.

But anyway, there's, um, an artificial replication thing after some point, yes? Once it acheives most popular it will become more popular... how do they get popular? You're point is that something getting really popular is not the same as it being memtic....

You want to think about the part that has very little to do with popularity hunh?

I only saw the word "meme" for the first time about three weeks ago and then I was seeing it everywhere so I asked someone what it meant. Really, three weeks ago.

This is a pointless comment. I'm terrible at arguing.

Give me something better.

-A

Eff Gwazdor said...

This wasn't really an in-depth discussion of memetics, just an outline, but tony's right. The way I explained it was by using the word "copy" or "replicate" - but "imitation" is the word that is used most in discussions on memetics and refers directly to the basic human BEHAVIOR that drives the memes. Still, I think the words are conceptually similar. In my mind, imitation calls to mind mimes and comedians pulling faces, but memes are expressed through language, through the creation of artifacts, and even through thoughts competing in your mind. "Replicator" has less baggage.

Eff Gwazdor said...

Hey Alexis.

I mean, I would be wrong if I said that massively popular videos were not memes - all artifacts of human behavior are memes.

"You want to think about the part that has very little to do with popularity hunh?"

That's kind of it. The word "meme" is just recently becoming widely known. The popular connotation is "hugely popular content" - which would be like using the word "tv" only to describe superpopular shows like "lost" "24" and "the sopranos" - it's not wrong, but it's overly limited. That wasn't a good metaphor.

I just want it to be more widely known that there is a group of thus-far borderline scientists who have put together an intriguing theory, an entire worldview based on these ideas.

As for how the videos get hugely popular, and then get more popular because they're popular - that's part of memetics. I guess the parallel in the biological metaphor would be an algal bloom... But if you think about it, WORDS are also like this - like there's no reason to call a rock the sound "rahk", but a few people started associating that sound with it, and then a lot of people, and now the idea of an English speaker saying - I call this thing "tetumbo" would be silly... Both the word "rock" and "tetumbo" are memes, but one is ultra successful.

The other thing about the videos is that they are memes, but (as memes are built of memes) they contain memes. So if you started quoting Britney stoned to your friends all the time and they started doing it to, the meme would be replicating.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, you should watch "pickle surprize"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwEt6doEglA