My REAL website is here:

Tuesday, February 6, 2007

to see without seeing (two)

Now I'm reposting the last post from my old blog so there aren't any errors (It's a new tradition!).
I also added some wikipedia links and copied the comments.

>

I have a minor medical condition - Strabismic Amblyopia - a developmental brain dysfunction that affects 1-5% of the population. Amblyopia is characterized by poor vision in an eye that is structurally normal – in other words, the problem is either with the optic nerve or the brain function associated with the affected eye. The visual system does not develop normally due to reduced use during development which leads to the brain “ignoring” the signals coming from this eye. Strabismic Amblyopia indicates that one eye was disfavored due to the fact that the eyes are not properly aligned. In other words, I have lazy eye ‘cause I’m cross-eyed.

So how does this affect my vision? Well, when I have my good eye open (my leftie), my brain pretty much turns off my bad eye. When I cover my good eye I can see out of my bad eye – which last I checked has 20/200 vision (it means I can just barely see the big E at the top of the chart). If this were my only eye, I would probably meet the definition of legally blind – especially because this condition cannot be corrected by glasses. The most annoying side effect of this condition is that it puts more stress on one eye, which has been making my vision worse recently. The second is that I don’t have any depth perception, so I can’t hit a baseball (even when it’s on the tee) or see stereograms or those fucking “magic eye” things. As if I’d even want to. The truth is, 3D vision is superfluous.

I’m not trying to get a license plate here, I’d like to point out a few features of the qualia of perception in my bad eye. I know the color vision in my bad eye is different than in my good eye – especially in the blue-green range (which my bad eye sees as much more grey) but this is a minor point. The interesting thing is that the images are not “out of focus,” distorted, dim, and don’t appear farther away (which is how 20/200 vision is often described by people with structural abnormalities). I can see everything crisply - I can only say that it is “harder to see.” That may seem vague, but I have always had trouble coming up with words for how I see in that eye. Things are just not as noticeable. Trying to see something is more work, it makes me frustrated, and things don’t seem as interesting.

To understand how my vision is impaired we must recognize how visual cognition is divided into a number of tasks handled by different physical areas of the cortex . For example it is hard to count things – I tend to do better if I fix my eye and stare at one point and get confused during saccades (the quick movements of the eye). I have good recognition for motion and brightness – if there were some test that measured acuity in these areas I think I would have pretty good vision. But I am terrible at face recognition and reading. If a group of random letters is written large, I can usually puzzle them out, but it takes a while. And I can’t understand what the font looks like, or remember it, unless I know I am being tested, and then, if large enough, I can check certain details, like if there are serifs, etc. When I see the page of a book, it looks like there are perfectly clear little letters - I just can’t make them out.

But the interesting part is, sometime in my teens I noticed something at the ophthalmologist’s - that is, if I guessed what letter I was looking at I would usually get it right, even though I couldn’t see it well enough to say what it was. This seemed to work best if I said the letters very quickly, without analyzing them. This is related to the phenomena known as blindsight – a condition that has the potential to further our understanding of consciousness. In this condition, patients who have a “scotoma” (blind spot) due partial destruction of the corresponding area of the visual cortex report not being able to see objects placed in this part of their visual field – they are not consciously aware of what is there. But when they are tested (for example - being asked if an indicator light is on or off) they do much better than chance. The patients are usually quite surprised by this, and can be taught to use their intuition to their advantage so they feel confident making guesses about objects in their scotoma, but they continue to claim that they cannot truly see these objects – there are no qualia of vision.

Blindsight raises the question – what is the difference between knowing something and being conscious of it? Most of the time you aren’t conscious of the things you know, for example, you aren’t thinking of where your car’s windshield wiper control is until right now, what kind of food your pet won’t eat, your grandmother’s first name, how to do the backstroke. Where was this knowledge when it wasn’t being thought of actively? Conversely, what about the things you are perceiving, but not conscious of – probably if you listen carefully right now you will realize there is some noise occurring in the background of which you had not previously been conscious.

I feel like my ability to guess the words I am reading with my bad eye is quite similar. I would not say I can SEE what they are, but from experience I have learned that I might KNOW what they are – I have trained myself to an extent to have faith in my intuitions. When reading this way I can, to an extent, use context to figure out what the words are without seeing each letter, the same as we all do when reading. But I have to continue quickly – long words give me trouble and if I stop to try to figure out a particular word I usually can’t – new words also give me fits, so it is much easier to read something with everyday language. I also tend to substitute in words and phrases that might make sense in the context – sometimes the words I put in have to do with other things that are on my mind. I’m not a big believer in the Freudian subconscious, but people say the strangest things, you know? Also, I have almost no ability to recognize when I am confabulating (which is part of the definition of confabulation – mistaking your guesses for facts). This is partially due to the fact that when reading this way I have very low comprehension of what I am reading – it doesn’t stick in my memory well and I can’t form a clear idea of what is being described. In school you may have stayed up terribly late trying to wrench your way through some dense and abstract text – Chomsky or something – and the sentences refused to make sense – that’s what reading “Dick and Jane” is like in my right eye. The whole process quickly becomes a chore, and if I go on I get a headache and find myself unable to resist “peeking” with my good eye (I am diagnosed lazy, remember?). After continuing like this for a bit, even the smallest blur of light in my good eye will seem much more real and beautiful than the whole of my field of vision in my bad eye.

This relates to the way I make art in several ways. First of all, the drawings I have been doing have almost no “depth” to them. I am just not that interested in it, to be honest. When I was younger I was a competent drawer, but I was really upset when a painting teacher (e.h.) described my work as “flat” – he had hit the nail on the head. The other thing is that most of my recent drawings are made of multiple black and white graphic units, “icons” I call them, that closely resemble letters. I’m interested in the meaning that comes from manipulating simple shapes into one unit – including an obsession with the number of different parts and variation of repeating elements and symmetry. These are exactly the things I have the most trouble cognitively analyzing with my bad eye. Perhaps I focus on these elements because – comparatively - I find them the most miraculous part of the vision in my good eye. Perhaps I just find these icons fascinating because my right eye is comprehending certain elements directly without experiencing them visually.

I hope I have not bored you with this explanation – I’ve been very detailed and personal. I’m not trying to get sympathy (I actually quite like my little abnormality), but relating my specific condition in order to get at the universal questions of what it means to be alive. I always write about “consciousness studies”… A field in which our knowledge has become much more specific recently through the use of rational analysis, the advances in brain science including increased knowledge in brain anatomy & the use of Electroencephalography, the questions raised by physics about the role of the conscious observer in the collapse of quantum superposition, and the exploration of consciousness through subjective means such as meditation and drugs. There are many answers to many questions in this field, but there is little consensus. The more we learn, the more clearly the mystery stands out.

[sic.]

6 comments:

Eff Gwazdor said...

I just gonna copy the posts from me old blog cause I feel like it would reduce discontinuity...

Eff Gwazdor said...

Comments (12 total)
Author:Anonymous
Nobody wants to read your voluminous bullshit.
2007-02-06 03:41:49 GMT

Author:Anonymous
Yeah. This is just like supercrapy popular science except - oops! - you aren't popular.
2007-02-06 07:05:11 GMT

Author:Anonymous
C'mon people. Don't burn me like that. I have friends. Some of them are even real. Please take your negativity somewhere elsewhere.

--Far-ley
2007-02-06 07:07:05 GMT

Author:Anonymous
this is my favorite of your posts. especially when you describe your personal experience with the wonky eye. are you planning to experiment with or test your abnormality more?

as for "the role of the conscious observer in the collapse of quantum superposition" it's something i think i understand, reading sci fi or whatever, but then i realize i don't understand at all.

the most suspicious thing about this post is that nothing is misspelled and it's pretty clean. are you using a word editor??
2007-02-06 18:34:59 GMT

Author:Anonymous
your conclusion seems a little broad (pop-sci), this is where i'd agree with Anonymous commenter #2.

i want to know what's the difference between knowing, perception, and consciousness. ok, i haven't embraced parapsychology, but i like to think about it.

i think the hate club is kind of cool. it's not like their comments have NO basis in reality, except they are obviously ignorant of the existence of your fanclub.

It's too bad they're not articulate in any specific or helpful way. I don't get why they would waste their time reading this when they hate it so much. why not critique the nytimes that gets read by millions of people. why waste your time with F's blog?
what about Sean Hannity's blog?
--k
2007-02-06 18:52:20 GMT

Author:Anonymous
"Wonky" is right on.

Yes. I used "word" to edit this - it's part of my philosphy of working with the mechanical hordes rather than against them. I have been thinking about bad spelling a lot - I'd like to reexamine my attitudes towards it - but I guess that's another post...

"The role of the observer in the collapse of quantum superposition" is also "another post." It's something that I don't understand too clearly. Physicists seem to understand better than I do, but the point is that even they don't quite get it. But it's not "parapsychology" - which I'm not into.

What did you think my conclusion was? That I think there is an element of blindsight in vision? That you can know without seeing? That consciousness is a mystery? I don't know whether I really reached any real conclusions - I'm working my way fwd bit by bit.

Thanks for commenting!

--farley
2007-02-06 20:43:27 GMT

Author:Anonymous
by conclusion, i just meant last paragraph! (more structural than functional) it was really the last 2 sentences that came off as a bit canned to me, like you could have picked them up in those pop-sci journals that beyatchy commenter mentioned.

a quantum superposition post sounds good to me.
--kk
2007-02-06 21:21:46 GMT

Author:Anonymous
I knew there was something funny about you...
--CFLA
2007-02-06 21:36:22 GMT

Author:Anonymous
Oh, you're right - "canned." That's just my quote for the back cover.

I was just trying to say that, well, I've tried to read a few books about the matter. From real trashy pseudo-sci-fi to brainknockers that make me feel like a slug, from "consciousness explained away" to Daisetsu Suzuki. But I get the impression that after a generation of serious study all these books will seem laughably quaint, like alchemists swallowing mercury. I just think that we should recognize that people really don't know what they are talking about. That is a good first step. This said, there are lots of concrete things to say that have extended our knowledge of the topic and I think that the problem can be approached "rationally." Perhaps by someone who is more objective than I am - and a bit more quick-witted. For me, the true attraction is the mystery. There is something unknown and it frustrates me and excites me. There is always a mystery to follow - when you get closer it seems to get deeper and more attractive, but at the same time rushes away from you. That, for me, is one of the thoughts that makes me hop out of bed.

--Farley
2007-02-06 21:50:11 GMT

Author:Anonymous
You're the funny one, Cufla.
2007-02-06 21:51:28 GMT

Author:Anonymous
oh yeah, why don't you recommend some books related to your topics. a little summary would be nice. you mention authors, but i need more info.
2007-02-06 22:25:50 GMT

Author:Anonymous
Yeah. I was thinking about writing a post to that effect. But the thing is, I don't want everyone to know what a nerd I am - that I read a lot of popular science and all.

For example - the book I am reading now is called "TEKLORDS" by... William Shatner (!). It's pretty awful stuff. Kind of half-hard-boiled decadent sci-fi adventure trash. I highly recommend. I picked it up at the Hamilton NJ Transit station. This is probably the best train station giftshop around - they have loads of really bizzarro used books and collectable toys and stuff all loaded into this prison-style public cagebuilding. It's so not what you'd expect.

OK. I know that's now what you mean. I'll try to post a list in a bit. I'm sure that there are superultrameganerds out there with blogs devoted just to these topics...

--Farley

Idalia said...

Farley I am just knocked out by this. Especially the part where you try to describe what it's like seeing out of your right eye. Even while I find this description totally evocative and understandable in a way I can't quite understand (how a propos!), I also would love to hear more about it, like is there any other feeling you can compare it to? Is it like, I don't know, when your hand is asleep and you can still feel the shapes of things by analyzing the way the pressure changes on your arm higher up? or anything else?

Eff Gwazdor said...

I don't know what it's like.

Actually, it's dull. The amazing thing is good vision. Good vision is mind bogglingly complicated and beautiful. Bad vision, even if it has something to "teach" is just not as good-looking.

The feeling of being able to read kind of feels like cheating. It's like waking up from a dream and having one of those panic situations where your body is paralyzed, and then you realize that you can move by falling back asleep and moving in your dream. That's what I mean by cheating.

Actually, that makes sense in terms of how blindsight is supposed to work - the signal from your eye is routed through a number of actual physical circuits in your brain that have been pretty clearly identified. The experience of reading without being able to see the letters always involves a conscious choice to ignore the fact that the letters look vague. I guess there is some kind of rerouting or reprioritizing going on - a little bit it feels that way.

Well, I don't think I'm coming any closer to explaining it. This is kind of making me feel too self-centered, but then I guess that's part of blogging...

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say, this person is more right than I wish. I got Lasik surgery on both eyes, but have this same amblyopia condition with my left eye being the good eye. I will stare at something and my right eye will go off to the side. I see better when my eyes are moving (passing glances are better than staring) and the guessing at reading etc. is EXACTLY what happens! I don't know if it's blind sight, but I have the tendency to reread and reread things because of it. I don't have the bad vision anymore, but other than that, everything else that was said is RIGHT ON TARGET! Now all I have to do is find a doctor that can fix it!

Anonymous said...

Hey,

I mostly visits this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]You have really contiributed very good info here gwazdor.blogspot.com. Do you pay attention towards your health?. Let me show you one truth. Recent Scientific Research displays that almost 70% of all USA adults are either chubby or weighty[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] Therefore if you're one of these people, you're not alone. Infact many among us need to lose 10 to 20 lbs once in a while to get sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now the question is how you are planning to have quick weight loss? You can easily lose with with little effort. You need to improve some of you daily habbits to achive weight loss in short span of time.

About me: I am webmaster of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also mentor who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under hard training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for quick weight loss.