My REAL website is here:

Monday, September 3, 2007

Coming soon...

I would like to work on writing a little more specifically, so I am going to try something. This is sympathetic superstring's first COMING SOON entry! I will write a sentence or two on a few ideas that have been bouncing around my head, and later write a full entry on these subjects. This way I can put a little pressure on myself to write more "thesis-driven" posts (and less blablablah - though I don't think I'll be giving that up anytime soon...). Also I hope that I can get some ideas from y'all before I write them (or not, yes no maybe?) so I can challenge myself and perhaps even start a dialog. I guess this idea partially was born of TCD's promise to write a post about authoritarian aesthetics on the Extended Pizza Network (or something - we are still eagerly awaiting - I will post something here if it materializes...).

COMING SoOoOoN (bang)

1. Why John and everyone should care about thumbs up/down on YouTube - how recent ideas in art (relational aesthetics), in science (information engineering), scifi (fantastic Memetics) and computing (Luis von Ahn's wetware and human cycles) led to exciting new possibilities for democracy and concepts of the self.

2. Relational Aesthetics - What is it? (Shortly, artworks that have as their goal the creation of new social relationships between people) How does it relate to my work (i.e. Perceival, etc.), and how does this place my work in a new context with other artists? What are it's problems, and how can I work beyond these in my new work?

3. The placebo effect. Scifi movie sets, pseudo-scientific and alternative medicine lab machines as sculpture. The focus on the subject, the non-rational or faith-based functioning of the mind as the field in which these machines operate. The aesthetic effects of these machines, and further possibilities as sculpture and interactive experience.

4. Why Mama always said you shouldn't play games with your heart - the dangers of intersubjective, relational art.