My REAL website is here:

Friday, January 4, 2008

3 4 10 11 12 26

Here's an interesting video. I like three things about it. First of all, I like the way the simple graphical style is used with minimal Foley to enhance the message. Secondly, I like that the logic structure proceeds along an explicitly analogical set of steps, and that this logic structure incorporates repetition. Thirdly, I like how the creator admits that his theory is slightly out-of-line with the theories of higher dimensions accepted by the mainstream, although I would have preferred if the creators could have admitted their own fallibility within the content of the explanation. I understand that this could confuse an already confusing topic, but what good is teaching people something effectively if what you're teaching isn't true? They could have at least given a nod to other theories of higher dimensions. In fact the creators seem to be slighly overly-comfortable with fiction. Which I guess makes them science-fiction writers. That's good I guess. But if you visit their site, there's just no way they get millions of hits per month on a site devoted to these esoteric theories, no matter how flashy it is, even though it's a book that comes complete with songs for download and T-shirts to wear. Which is awesome. And it's always funny when popular scientists have their own theories and try to appeal to the pulic rather than to the academy in a peer-reviewed journal. Like the people are going to rise up and overthrow the old ideas of higher orders of spatial dimensions in favor of the ideas presented here. The people don't rise up for nothing - they wouldn't even rise up for free netflicks videos.

No comments: