My REAL website is here:

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Cat Bird



I was just listening to the excellent song "Christine" off Siouxsie and the Banshee's album Kaleidascope. The window was open because it's warm and the sun is shining, and the music was playing probably too loudly. And a cat bird started singing along to the song. It was quite clear that it was not just coincidence as the bird was only responding to the gtr part that plays during the chorus and was quiet during the verses. It was a simple two note call that echoed the pitch and rhythm of the gtr part exactly. I'm pretty sure that I've heard cat birds sing this way before, so I think it was responding to the music rather than imitating the music.

Here is one place you can hear the catbird sing:
catbird calls in NJ
But I don't hear the gtr part from Christine. I could be mistaken, it wouldn't be a first. But I saw it singing...

Oh - I was looking very hard at the forsythia and daffodils today and I didn't see any bees. Now, it is only partially sunny, so that might be why. So I will have to look on sunnier days. It was sunny last week and I didn't see any bees. I was outside a lot, but not seaching systematically. Then a few minutes after the cat bird incident a bee flew in the window. I had to help it find its way outside. I think the bees situation is terrifying. I don't mind if there is an apocalypse for humanity, but I don't want all flowering plants to disappear as well.

Here's that song we were talking about:

Christine

We love the part where she says:

Now she's in purple
Now she's a turtle
Disintigrating

That makes sense to us. Switching back and forth between fantasies is the same thing as dis-intigrating. Because reality is a fantastic construct, even everyday reality. And if the fantasy falls apart, so do you. Just wait until the very end when her voice starts to wash away. This is a spring song.

3 comments:

Eff Gwazdor said...

Are we all familiar with this music?

Eff Gwazdor said...

So we put it up.

It's the sun that unites this post and the next.

The winter one is almost dead, but there's still a chance. There's a confusion that will be gone in a couple weeks.

The thing about blogging is - I'm confused. There's no reason you should not be as well.

Eff Gwazdor said...

Catbirds are known for their ability to mimic other bird's songs, and their intelligence.

I saw the catbird - that's how I identified it.