My REAL website is here:

Thursday, June 7, 2007

new perceival


I finished yet another of these monsters. It's on the site:

New perceival video...

This one has a "partner" now in production. They are both heavily based on the music and simpler than before - in terms of the number of frames and Foley. This doesn't mean that my computer let me off the hook - many many mysterious voodoo glitches and gremlins. That's why I worship the great vengeful mandelbrot teddy bear of destruction. Just kidding - I worship Parvati Shakti.

I noticed that YouTube changed it's look when embedded - it's now more complicated and intrusive. I don't think it entirely ruins the site, but it is a bit of a bummer because it kind of reduces the impact of the site design. Worse yet, they seem to have introduced a new type of compression that uses frame re-ordering. Sounds technical - but just means the animation look less smooth - like it gets "stuck." Or something. Which is too bad, because I had worked hard to make the videos look good on YouTube, and I think I'd had it figured out.

I can't lie - I'm awfully frustrated by this process. I think a lot of the challenge of being an artist is how boring and frustrating a lot of the work can be. Or perhaps this is just the computer's revenge. Anyway, this project is fun, but it's also a pain. That's what U was saying with doublethink - engineering communication to produce a desired effect in an other's mind involves doing a lot of the work for them - this is why this project is not avant garde - it is a kind of popular art - like a soap opera. Next project I'd like to work in a much more direct way, more physical, less computer, more improvised, more self-involved, less edited, more conceptual, less entertaining, less pop, more personal, more embarrassing, more drunken, less precise, less kind, more loud.