My REAL website is here:

Thursday, May 31, 2007

New video!

Hey - I've been blogging to BUGS recently. Koo koo!

Sorry to everyone - I haven't been doing anything but working on this video recently. I think it turned out OK and I'd love for you all to check it out and leave your comments:

New PERCEIVAL video.

I have been unable to dig up my cell phone recently - every moment is spent doing Foley and fighting a battle with my computer. Although I have to admit, I did take a break last night and maked samosas. They were good, but the dough wasn't quite right. The mint-peach chutney worked out great though.

I am always amazed at the difference between how quickly a fantasy can be conceived and how much long and trying labor it is to achieve it. If it can be achieved at all. (Always thinking about fantasy...)

There is a Lou Reed song on "Velvet Underground" the album (I hope my readers are familiar - if not, get thee hence and download), a song that seems to be about... um... actually can't quite say. And the lyric goes:

"Between thought and expression lies a lifetime"

And that's TRUE. Of course, it's MORE TRUE because it's set to music. And truer still because you can dance to it. But that's what I'm trying to say - I don't know how it is for you, but my head is full of fantasies, most of which will never even be written down, let alone acted on. And only a tiny sliver of pie will become true. Is that my lifetime? Or, wait, is it the process including the unexpressed fantasies, or is the only thing that counts the thoughts that actually find expression? And what the hell do I mean by "counts?" Who's counting? (Mathmaticians certainly are.)

In cases like this, perhaps it is useful to look at the next line:

"Situations arise because of the weather"

Well, that didn't seem to help much. It sure was hot today though. Am I supposed to look deeper? Climate is predictable, but the details of weather aren't. Weather is chaotic. Thoughts, or we prefer saying fantasies, are the attempt of the mind to make sense of the world. Making sense means putting it in some sort of order. But there's always chaos. Without chaos each fantasy would become reality instantly. Wouldn't that be supernatural! Stupid to say stuff like that though. It always makes me angry when people say, "Without gravity, people would just float off into space." Wrong! Without gravity the Earth would explode like a balloon and the sun would be snuffed in a giant black supernova sneeze and, who knows, the universe would probably cease to exist. Nobody even knows what gravity is. What would the universe be without chaos? I can't even imagine. But when chaos stops me from getting my email, oh man, I don't care that the universe wouldn't exist without it. Just maybe I can keep those "situations" from arising long enough to get a few things done.

I know all of this is pretty swampy stuff. Pretty day to day. But I'm just trying to do "slow life" my way, trying to be stupid and foody. I like thoughts that spin around and around, but they make me dizzy and I want to say "stop, fantasies - you are alive now." But I'm not there yet. We'll see...

Anyway, the video. Take a look if you have time.

Hi/Bye

4 comments:

Idalia said...

Lately I have been in love with this quote which I read on this blog which was quoting it from this blog. It's mostly about writing fiction but not only:

"In a very real way, one writes a story to find out what happens in it. Before it is written it sits in the mind like a piece of overheard gossip or a bit of intriguing tattle. The story process is like taking up such a piece of gossip, hunting down the people actually involved, questioning them, finding out what really occurred, and visiting pertinent locations. As with gossip, you can’t be too surprised if important things turn up that were left out of the first-heard version entirely; or if points initially made much of turn out to have been distorted, or simply not to have happened at all."

Idalia said...

This is the first video where the timing was really important - I felt I had to explain the pause before the hand grabs the thing, as well as the objects and actions.

Also, this is the first time I've really played one with the sound. For a minute I thought the VERy beginning was recordings of different people reading aloud the written word "perceival" and pronouncing it different ways. I listened again and I think that is actually not what it is, but maybe that would be cool! It would definitely go with the project. And I pronounce it totally differently (per-SEE-vul). You could take your recorder out and get man on the streets to read you the word...

Idalia said...

Sorry to comment thrice - I just realized that I should have accredited that quote, which is from from Samuel R. Delany's About Writing.

Eff Gwazdor said...

Thanks Idal,

That quote is write on.

I also think that's why I draw - to get the story strait. That sounds great. But then of course it goes back into the general nonspecific sphere of hearsay. Which is great, what Perceival is all about. Just more evidence that nothing lasts forever. That there's no final version. People like to point out that the great paintings are slowly fading and peeling, but more importantly the people who look at them are constantly changing and everything is shifting.

Or maybe that's not what Perceival is about at all. Maybe it's more like going to the office party, drinking too much and leaving with the boss' daughter.

And yeah you gots to play them with the sound. I worked hard on the Foley so it would sound OK on computer speakers.

Thanks for your comments about timing. I am pleased with how it came out and I'm glad that you can find meaning in the coordination of sound and visuals... Thanks a million for commenting. Yay!

Idally dhaddally dill dilly dhal!