My REAL website is here:

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Anne Laplantine

I am just going to post these videos by the artist and musician Anne Laplantine. This work deals with some difficult political issues, and asks some tough questions about the role of the artist, but I think it is worth looking at and thinking about. I don't want to give my interpretation of the work here so as not to stand between you and the work. I should warn you that there are some violent images in these videos.

I should also say that you can't experience this work fully without visiting Laplantine's YouTube page. Some of these videos are responses to other videos, and often this relationship is as important as the work itself. I can't show how this works here and this page ends up being a little decadent in that it focuses on only part of her work (specifically the more finished work, especially ones with her songs). So check out her page.

cho seung-hui

touched

eric in automn leaves

dancing

the forest

Can you do me a favor?

silence is

asleep

me war

fight fights

dear world

dicipline

the forest

just for fun

do you believe in magic

in my hands

2 comments:

Henry said...

meh....i dunno dude....i think i am respect the volume of the work, and the issues being addressed...but maybe there should more work and less products. i like the idea of just making a product because you have an idea (like i says on the EPN) but i think that you need to put a little more behind it....i didnt find the words or the images to be all that moving...i think there should be a little more effort.

Eff Gwazdor said...

That's cool.

I was thinking about how I come across artists that I like. Most of the time it is in a magazine or something, at a gallery, through friends. But it's hard to find something out of the blue, and it has a different feeling. This is the kind of art that I think is worth collecting (too bad I'm broke...)

There are a lot of reasons I gravitate towards this work. It's not like I think it's fully resolved, and I think that music can sometimes be confusing. Some of these - i.e. "just for fun"- I like because of the melody and content of the song and the strange juxtaposition of the lyrics and text. I think some of the images are a little useless.

What completely fascinates me is the "reaching out" part of the project, the kind of desperate attempt at communication with people who are very deeply involved with a dark world of violence, hate, depression, and death. My previous work was about communication, but this last project, Howwa We Ana, was much more about reaching out. And I think I learned that reaching out can be painfully hard, that there are a lot of dark paths to follow.

Anyway, I didn't like this work as much when I first saw it, but then it really got its hooks in me. Perhaps it is because it contains a problem that I can approach in my own work. Perhaps just because I find it humanistic and love-ly and I am willing to work a little or be more tolerant of the imprefections of work that has already found its way into my heart.

I don't know about effort... It seems like there is a lot of effort here, but like I said, you have to check out the web page. The effort doesn't seem to be only in the videos. It seems to be in the creation of a kind of community of support, empathy, and righteous disapproval. The web includes visual elements, but the relationship of the artist to the viewers through the videos is much more interesting.