My REAL website is here:

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Skewered

Now seriously folks...

This is an image of the instrument I made that uses a servo motor to change the length of a skewer (and therefore the pitch and timbre). The position of the bridge (here the bump at the center of the CD case) is controlled by twisting a knob (which is just a simple potentiometer such as in a volume-control knob). This is just a learning excercise for me; it is just a cardboard model, and I'm not really interested in creating musical instruments at this point in my artistic practice. But I think the ability to use simple devices to control the motion of a physical object will be useful to me. I have plans to start making sculptures from my drawings - simple small toylike objects with a degree of interactivity that enables a certain kind of PLAY which relates to my recent interest in using play to process infromation on a pan-consciouness/actor-network level by using algorithms that capitalize on what Luis von Ahn calls WETWARE - i.e. decisions made by our brains that process information the centrality of which we are not aware of.

Rimba-rimbaaaaaaaaaaaaa - qurrrt; bloink! Bloink! P't-dddd'-ddd'-dd'-d-'!

This is a pretty bad image. In this instrument, my contribution in in the foreground. It is controlled with one set of two knobs you can see behind.

In other news, I am still processing the review of Howwa We Ana - However We Wanna. I am trying to take it seriously so that I can understand the way people react to the show (it is actually quite hard to get honest critical opinions on any work). But because the language used in the review is challenging for me - either because it is more academic than I am used to or because the basic stance expressed is so different from mine - I am having trouble with it. I'd like to read more by the critic to get an idea of his basic ideology so that I can use this as a reference-point. I am pretty upset not that this review was negative (it's great that anyone would think it was important enough to write about), but that there were no positive reviews published as I think the show was generally well-received. Oh well - I'm too busy to let it bother me.

4 comments:

cake or pie said...

For the record, I read the review and found it very pedantic, or, uh, like someone trying to sound smart. He didn't express his thoughts very clearly, which is not to say he didn't have any good points. He seemed to get in his own way. I could give some examples but I have to get back to work...

I'm sorry I didn't get to see the show or I would have something more to say :(

Henry said...

i tried to read some of the other reviews on that guys blog...of which there are only like three....they are all in that same really bizzare language that makes no sense.....looks like somebody found a thesaurus....A THESAURUS REX!!!!!!

Henry said...

i do have to say that he used the word "mediums"...when he should have said "media"....which is the proper plurar.

Eff Gwazdor said...

Well. I appreciate the support.

I've been thinking a lot about the review (though not obsessively - too busy for that). There are a lot of things that I could do wrong - i.e. "defending" my work. But also I want to understand the review and so I can't criticize the quality of the writing - not only because that would be a major case of the pot calling the kettle black (Sympathetic Sillystraw is a major breeding ground for poor spelling) but because it would reduce the discussion to an unproductive personal level.

I wish you had all seen the show as well! Thanks for saying that. Next time I'll try something closer to you.